Performance masterclasses for police managers and analysts
Policing has never changed as fast and as much as it is today: the service must not only adapt to a major reform programme but also work within tighter budgets while meeting the government's requirements for becoming a more professional service. Our courses, written and taught by Malcolm Hibberd, are designed with these challenges in mind.
Forthcoming masterclasses are shown below. All courses will be held at Etc Venues, 1-3 Bonhill Street, London EC2A 4BX.
If you would like to join the mailing list so that you are informed of future events in 2017 please email Sue Roberts.
Performance Masterclass 1 - Understanding performance
26 June 2017
- Performance is a judgement which should be based on evidence however the evidence never speaks for itself, and will always be open to alternative readings. The solution to this is a disciplined approach to analysis (the responsibility of analysts) and analytic thinking (the responsibility of decision makers).
- In this masterclass, participants will explore the problems of interpretation through a series of engaging and eye-opening exercises with practical advice on how to minimise their effects.
- What you will learn: You will take away a set of principles for analytic thinking and a model for informed decision making about performance.
Performance Masterclass 2 - Improving performance
27 June 2017
- Simply stated, performance is about what we achieve as a result of what we do. However on a practical level we need to understand what we want to achieve, what we need to do, the costs involved and how we assess the effectiveness and efficiency of what we do.
- What you will learn: This masterclass sets out a comprehensive overview of organisational performance and provides a practical framework for those who want to understand, maintain and improve performance.
Performance Masterclass 3 - Developing a performance culture
28 June 2017
- Many police managers feel that we need to develop a more rational performance culture and move away from the simplistic use of targets and league tables. But what should a new performance culture look like? And what do we need to do to achieve it?
- What you will learn: you will identify the key elements of a rational performance culture and explore the practical steps to developing it.
Performance Masterclass 4 - Analysing performance
29 June 2017
- Performance analysis involves statistics but to the non-specialist they may be dry or difficult. They may also know little about different statistical methods or how to use, present and interpret statistics.
- What you will learn: This masterclass gives an entertaining (seriously!) and informative overview of how statistics help you understand performance. Aimed at the non-specialist, you will learn how to be an informed reader of reports: the problems and pitfalls to avoid, the questions to ask, and how not to be deceived.
Statistics for police analysts
These courses can be provided in-house for any police organisation, or for a number of police organisations in collaboration.