In its first year, the College of Policing began a review to examine police leadership training and development, given the changing context in which policing is operating. It became clear that a fundamental review of police leadership was required and this mandate was taken on in July 2014 following a commission from the then Home Secretary Theresa May.
As part of this review the Police Foundation hosted a closed roundtable discussion with 27 senior stakeholders to consider the future of police leadership. The discussion was guided by six questions:
- What is police leadership?
- What are the key leadership challenges that lie ahead for policing?
- What should the police service be doing to identify and develop future leaders at all levels?
- What should be the role of stakeholders?
- What can policing learn from other sectors?
- What is the value of looking outside policing for leaders and leadership; what might be the risks
A summary of the discussion is contained in this report.
Author: Gavin Hales
- Download file: leadership_roundtable.pdf (opens in a new window.)