Since 1997, police powers have been extended in a variety of ways, key among them, measures to control antisocial behaviour and dispense summary justice. A raft of new powers have also been introduced since 9/11, many of which remain controversial.
The Forum considered the following questions:
- How did this growth come about?
- Are these powers sufficient or excessive?
- Are they being used fairly and proportionately?
- Have police officers been given too much or too little discretion in using them?
- What is the proper role and function of the police?
- What impact has public expectation had on the growth of police powers?