The Police Foundation’s second annual conference launched our four year Police Effectiveness project and explored the key challenges for contemporary policing in a changing world.
The police service is currently faced with a unique set of challenges: the need for effective policing to reduce crime with limited resources; the radically new approach to local accountability and the pressure to maintain a visible policing presence in the face of budget cuts.
Speakers and delegates explored the current approaches to meeting these challenges, shared innovations in effective policing and looked at future directions for the police service.
Download a written summary of speeches, break-out sessions and discussion.
Selected conference footage
- Professor Sir Anthony Bottoms, Emeritus Professor of Criminology, University of Cambridge ‘Challenges for policing in a changing world’.
- Sara Thornton CBE, QPM, Chief Constable, Thames Valley Police ‘Responding to the challenges I‘
- Shami Chakrabarti CBE, Director, Liberty ‘Responding to the challenges II‘
- Nick Gargan, Chief Executive, NPIA ‘Police improvement in the new landscape‘
- Rt Hon Nick Herbert MP, Minister of State for Policing and Criminal Justice ‘Future directions for policing’